Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New York - City of Books, Art and... homeless people.

So, I'm writing my New York post back in cold, grey Melbourne, the only compensation being that our smelly pup is snoring away happily on my knee once again as I type.

New York was all that I had hoped it would be - and more. We only had three full days, but managed to cram as much in as we possibly could, including The Lion King on Broadway and a requisite ferry ride to Staten Island to see the Statue of Liberty and the equally impressive skyline on our return.

We stayed in the fabulous Library Hotel, a skinny Art Deco building within walking distance from the public library (pictured above). For the crazy book-lovin' people my beloved and I are, it was as if we had died and gone to heaven. Except instead of fluffy clouds and annoying angels playing on harps, we had a reading room with a grand piano and floor to ceiling bookshelves.

Each room in the hotel is given a theme according to the Dewey Decimal System and even the chocolates on our pillows had literary quotes upon them. Like I said: Book Nerd heaven.

A few highlights:

- Central Park: you could pretty much spend your whole holidays here as it's almost the size of a small village (provided you were happy just to live off hot dogs and super-sized bagels). Plus, in summer there is so much going on from outdoor cinemas to yoga to concerts, and if you want your portrait done (which of course our son insisted upon) there are dozens of overqualified artists from Eastern Europe and China all over the park who can do an expert sketch of you in five minutes with an enormous head on a Spider Man torso - what more could you want?

- The bookstores: it goes without saying that for a family of book obsessives we ended up returning with suitcases we could barely lift any more. I would have loved to spend more time exploring all the book stores around New York, and finding all the second-hand ones, too, but we would have had to pay the price of another plane ticket to bring any more books home with us. Next time!

- The galleries and museums! Oh lordy. MoMA NY had almost ALL my favourite artworks in it. All of them together - on one floor! It also had a wonderful kids audio program and fabulous activity sheets. Once again, it definitely needed more time than we could give it. Sigh... And we didn't even dare venture into The (incredibly enormous) Met. We may never have been seen again!

 (Self-portrait looking wistful that I can't visit MoMA every day!)

Lowlight:

- The homeless. They seemed to be on every corner, most of them so sad and vulnerable. Or maybe I was just acutely aware of them because I was walking around with my youngest son. He wanted to know everything about every one of them. 'Why don't they have a home? Why don't they have any money? Where are their mothers?'

On our last day, on Madison Avenue, not far from the Tiffany windows where diamond-encrusted butterfly brooches glittered in the windows, we saw a bird-like woman lying in a muddle of blankets, mouth open and tears streaming down her face. She broke our hearts. When my son walked up to her and offered her some money, she looked up at him as if into the face of an angel. 

That afternoon, we walked back without speaking, hand in hand, to our expensive hotel, past all the shiny shops and fancy restaurants, feeling very humbled. 


8 comments:

  1. Thanks, I'm feeling humbled too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I've had to catch my breath, Sally. Just beautiful. jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Sally - especially the last part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I feel lucky to have all that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed at what you did in 3 days! I have always thought that NYC has the best and worst of everything, and I think you articulated this really well. I have also just returned from NYC, and this time I spent most of my time in Brooklyn. Next time you go, you've got to explore it. NYC feels like home to me as apart from loving it, most of my extended family is there. My father is the only one in his very large family who did not migrate there. He still thinks he did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill - yes, I was sorry to miss out on seeing Brooklyn, it sounds great. Next time! I would definitely like to spend more time in New York. Lucky you having relatives there. Where were your family migrating from?

      Delete
  6. Hi Sally,
    The former Yugoslavia, but after the Second World War, not after the recent Balkan war.

    ReplyDelete